Guys, you know what’s better than almond joys?
Trick question: nothing. Except maybe Reese’s peanut butter cups but I’m not about to get political with my candy choices here.
It’s been dessert central around here as of late. And let me tell you, while I’ve got some savory goodness lined up, there’s nothing wrong with a little sweet kick!
This tart is no-bake and I almost considered making it raw, but couldn’t forsake my favorite classic vegan ganache! This easy dessert spends most of the time chilling- so basically, you do 10% of the work and let your fridge do the rest.
The crust of this tart is made with almonds, because, after all, we are emulating Almond Joys. Plus, it makes this dessert entirely gluten-free! Now, in order to get an authentic candy bar experience, we aren’t just using any almonds, but Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Almonds! If you don’t have these, you could throw in some cocoa powder into the crust, but honestly, nothing beats that oven-roasted flavor that these almonds are full of! The rest of the crust is classic: dates as a natural sweetener, coconut for the texture and Almond Joy goodness, and a pinch of sea salt because you know how I am about salty-sweet.
The filling is just the best. Coconut milk and shredded coconut are simmered together and you can’t forget the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond extract. I don’t really know how Almond Joys are made, and probably don’t want to (ingredients I can’t pronounce scare me!), but let me tell you, this filling tastes like the real deal, but better.
Then (of course) we have the chocolate ganache. It’s in half my dessert recipes and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Top everything off with some shredded coconut and more dark chocolate almonds, and you have a showstopper dessert that just needs to sit pretty in the fridge for a bit. You’re so welcome.
Shoutout to Blue Diamond Almonds for hooking me up with these awesome Dark Chocolate Almonds! This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds, but all expressed opinions on Whisk & Shout as well as affiliate social media pages are my own.
- ⅔ cup Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Almonds
- ⅔ cup shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup pitted dates
- pinch sea salt
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1⅓ cups vegan chocolate chips
- Pulse crust ingredients in a food processor until completely combined. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan and set aside.
- For filling, in a medium pot over low-medium heat, combine coconut, coconut milk, and maple syrup. Stir until everything is melted.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring as it thickens. After about 3 minutes, remove from heat and add the vanilla extract, stirring well.
- Pour over crust and place in fridge.
- To prepare ganache, combine almond milk and cornstarch in a saucepan over high heat until just boiling, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut oil.
- Place chocolate chips in a bowl and pour almond milk mixture over top.
- Let sit for 2 minutes or until chocolate is melty, and whisk thoroughly.
- Grab your tart from the fridge and pour ganache over coconut layer. Top with almonds and coconut, if desired.
- Chill for 4-6 hours, or overnight before serving.