Remember what I said a couple weeks ago about how people need to turn the oven on more in the summer?
You know, that whole spiel I went on about creativity being stifled by trends or whatever.
Yeah, I take that all back.
It’s been in the upper 90s and the 100s this week and that means that anyone who turns the oven on in my house is my enemy. It’s getting serious, people.
Especially since A/C just can’t keep up with this heat wave. My room, in addition to being on the top floor (why does heat have to rise??), doesn’t have a complete vent. I have two fans running all the time and it’s still ridiculously hot.
In addition to the weather itself, there are a ton of people living in and coming to/from my house, since it’s dance camp this week. The extra body heat means that I’m constantly looking for a cool corner and a chilled drink.
The idea for these bars came to me while I was
sticking my head in the freezer to cool down looking for ice cream. I love no bake desserts, but haven’t made one in a while. It was time.
I recently made a veganized version of Sally’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. Since I’ve been trying to eat a little lighter now that it’s so hot, I decided to make my own version using PB2, a brand of powdered peanut butter.
These bars are naturally sweetened with maple syrup and vanilla extract. Packed with peanut butter and coconut flavor, they are satisfying and healthy while killing a chocolate craving in a flash!
If the summer heat is slowly melting you, give these a try! And if you’re looking for even more vegan/vegetarian no-bake dessert recipes, find more here.
- 1 cup powdered peanut butter
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + a pinch more for topping
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips, melted
- Combine powdered peanut butter, maple syrup, water, vanilla extract, and coconut in a large bowl.
- Press into an aluminum foil-lined 8x4 pan or Tupperware container.
- Spread melted chocolate chips over top and top with additional coconut if desired.
- Freeze for 1 hour before slicing and serving. Store in refrigerator.