How was your weekend? Mine was pretty great.
My mom organized a fundraiser that was able to donate well over $3000 to Planned Parenthood, I slept for 13 hours in one night, and I bought way too much bottles of kombucha.
These little squares are perfect for Healthy January, but I actually make them all the time (especially in the summer, when I reaallly don’t want to turn on the oven) because they really don’t taste like “diet food” or “super healthy” or any of that nonsense.
What they are, is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, raw, and only naturally-sweetened. Also, they’re delicious.
The pistachio-date center is enrobed in a silky chocolate coating and topped with more pistachios (because, duh).
I could see these being delicious with other flavor-assertive nuts, like peanuts or pecans.
Not only are these babies super good for you, but they take verrrry little effort to make. You need 8 ingredients total (that’s including water!) and no oven! Plus, the recipe is very easy to double or even triple (which you’re going to want to do).
What else have you guys been up to? I have spent my winter break sleeping way too much, talking myself out of going to the gym, and cooking the same meal (tofu sautéed in avo oil and soy sauce with rice and an avocado) every day.
Also, I finished all of The Office. It’s been a blast.
I hope you make these! If you make any of my recipes, definitely post a pic and tag me @whiskandshout on Instagram- I love seeing what you guys make. Someone recently adapted my vegan gingerbread into donuts and it looked SO delicious 🙂
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp raw shelled pistachios
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 tbsp cup coconut oil, liquid
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/agave/raw honey
- 2 tbsp crushed raw shelled pistachios, for topping
- In a food processor, combine dates, warm water, ¼ cup and 2 tbsp pistachios, sea salt, and vanilla until a paste forms.
- Transfer paste to a foil-lined small 4x4 dish or square Tupperware. Spread evenly, cover, and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combined cacao powder, liquid coconut oil, and maple syrup in a medium bowl with a whisk until homogenous.
- Remove pan from freezer and cut into squares. Dip each date square into the chocolate coating and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- Place each square on a lined baking sheet and return to freezer for 15 minutes. Store in refrigerator.