There are two little substitutions I will always try to sneak into any baked good…
…special dark cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips.
I know, I know, those ingredients aren’t particularly glamorous, but they always add a little extra ‘oomph’ to desserts. Something about special dark cocoa adds a richness in color and flavor to chocolatey baked goods, and mini chocolate chips just disperse the pockets of chocolate goodness more frequently.
These brownies have ’em both. Along with only 5 other ingredients! The brownie base itself is only made with 6 ingredients: egg replacer, coconut oil, special dark cocoa, sea salt, and vanilla extract, making these brownies vegan + gluten free. For added flavor and presentation, I sprinkled them with my fave mini vegan chocolate chips!
These brownies come together in just over half and hour and slice beautifully! They are richly dark with crispy edges and chewy centers. I enjoyed them with a cold glass of almond milk, but they’re equally delicious all on their own.
You likely have all the ingredients to make these brownies now! (If you’re vegan, you’re an egg replacer buff, I’m sure, and if not? Just sub real eggs!). There’s absolutely no excuse. Enjoy xx
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil
- 1¾ cup cane sugar
- 3 tbsp egg replacer + 6 tbsp water (= 3 eggs)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened cocoa powder (I used a mix of regular and special dark)
- Preheat oven to 350 F, grease an 8x8 pan with coconut oil, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine melted coconut oil, cane sugar, egg replaced, sea salt, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Stir well with a whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Add unsweetened cocoa powder and incorporate into batter using a rubber spatula. Mix well so that all the cocoa powder mixes into the batter.
- Transfer batter to your lined pan (it will be incredibly fudgy, almost like very sticky cookie dough). Use the rubber spatula, spread batter so it forms an even layer in the pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, remove from oven, and let cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve!
*adapted from here