Happy Earth Day!
As I’m writing this, it’s not actually Earth Day. It’s Wednesday, and I’m procrastinating on reading by way of this blog post (oops).
Environmentalism and food intersect in so many ways, and it’s hard to be a food blogger without noticing this. Whether it’s acknowledging the negative impact of factory farming on the clime, becoming increasingly conscious of food waste, or constantly compromising between advertising for commercial brands and advocating for local sustainable food options, food bloggers and the foodie community are grappling with tough issues on a daily basis.
Obviously, there are ways to be environmentally-engaged without being a food blogger (write to Congress, recycle & compost, reduce meat and dairy consumption, etc.). But it’s also important as a food blogger to constantly celebrate and give voice to food justice issues.
Here are some of my thoughts and recipes, as well as those from around the food blogging community, that I find especially pertinent on Earth Day!
- Anything from Traci, who is incredible about introducing sustainable eating and food justice into her content!
- Vegan Pesto Tofu Ricotta Ravioli ft. thoughts about how food bloggers can do better
- Thoughts on eating local from a vegetarian blogger powerhouse, Cookie & Kate!
- Food waste, the importance/struggle of limiting it, and Arugula Salad with Roasted Asparagus & Goat Cheese
- This Kale Pesto Cavatelli looks amazing and so do the rest of Sarah’s plant-based recipes!
- Music for your ~chill~ Saturday Earth Day vibes.
- These sweet potato skewers look amazing and all of Ella’s vegetarian recipes are eco-friendly –> she also has thoughts on Earth Day today!
- This lentil salad looks incredible, as well as all of Alexandra’s other CSA-friendly recipes!
Happy Earth Day! It’s always important to remember that every day is Earth Day, and that all of our actions have consequences, whether it’s what we eat, buy, wear, or think about. See you next week xx