Today I’m in and out with a quick recipe from my instagram!
This is the definition of an easy weeknight meal- I just threw some pasta in the pot (we had a little whole wheat penne and a little whole wheat rotini), reserved some cooking water, made a sauce, and stirred in pesto.
- 6-8 oz whole wheat pasta, any kind
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese
- 3 tbsp almonds
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 5 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- ¼ cup vegan pesto
- 4-6 basil leaves, chopped
- Set a pot of water to boil with 4 tsp salt (or more!) and cook your pasta until al dente.
- Drain and reserve ½ cup of the pasta water. Don't rinse.
- Meanwhile, combine almond milk, cream cheese, almonds, nutritional yeast, black pepper, remaining salt, and lemon zest in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sweat out your garlic with the olive oil (let it sizzle until soft and fragrant over low-ish heat, about 1-2 minutes)
- Add in your sauce from the blender and the ½ cup of pasta water. Stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it bubble for 10-12 minutes, until thickened.
- Toss pasta with sauce and stir in pesto until all combined.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil for garnish.
*adapted from my pasta recipe here