It’s not committing to a month of decadence if I only give you sweets.
So here we are with some savory, calorie-loaded goodess.
Okay, actually this pasta isn’t that bad for you at all. Like, it’s pasta (so carbs I guess) and yeahhh there’s (vegan) cream cheese in the sauce, but it’s mostly almond milk, which is totally great for you.
It’s fun to pretend you’re being totally wicked and even more fun when indulgence is good for you, too!
This sauce recipe is not mine, like at all. It’s just really good. I used a different pasta. And I added some spinach. And some chopped basil. And changed a couple things, but I’m totally not claiming this recipe for my own.
It comes from here, and I love it because it’s so quick, so delicious, and it really tastes like the real deal alfredo.
Plus, if you break it down, you’re getting protein and calcium from the almonds and almond milk, vitamin A from the spinach, and B12 from the nutritional yeast!
Cheers to (secretly healthy) comfort food!
- 6-8 oz spaghetti
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp sea salt, divided
- pinch of lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2-3 basil leaves, chopped
- Set a pot of water to boil with 2 tsp salt (or more!) and cook your pasta until al dente.
- Drain and reserve ½ cup of the pasta water. Don't rinse.
- Meanwhile, combine almond milk, cream cheese, almonds, nutritional yeast, black pepper, remaining salt, and a pinch of lemon zest in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sweat out your garlic with the olive oil (let it sizzle until soft and fragrant over low-ish heat, about 1-2 minutes)
- Add in your sauce from the blender and the ½ cup of pasta water. Stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it bubble for 10-12 minutes, until thickened.
- In the last two minutes of cooking, toss your spinach into the sauce and stir.
- Toss pasta with sauce and sprinkle with chopped basil for garnish.