I’m so excited for the holidays.
I’ve been mildly homesick ever since fall break, which is a little unnatural for me, and I’ve attributed it to my longing for the holidays and all the festive baking, decorating, and music I love at home.
Plus, you can’t light candles in dorms at college, and it’s truly a tragedy. How am I supposed to experience fall and winter without a ton of spice-scented candles???
I’ve already started planning my Thanksgiving prep list, and I’m weirdly excited for Christmas baking.
I also may or may not have listened to All I Want For Christmas Is You on the elliptical last week.
This salad is a perfect holiday side or appetizer. Celebrating winter produce, this grain salad combines caramelized brussels sprouts and red onions with quinoa and is topped with a seedy pistachio gremolata! It’s unusual, delicious, and super easy to throw together. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup pistachios, shelled
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 0.3 lb brussels sprouts, chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ a red onion, sliced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss Brussels sprouts and red onion with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until veggies are carmelizing. Remove from oven and set aside on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse together pistachios, breadcrumbs, and garlic powder until finely chopped and combined. Stir in chia and flax seeds.
- In a large bowl, toss quinoa, roasted Brussels sprouts and red onion with salt and pepper to taste.