You know what’s better than nachos?
Greek salad is definitely my all time favorite. No matter how fancy a salad you serve up, even if it has everything I love in one bowl, I will always choose a Greek salad (no feta, dressing on the side, please!).
They start with a bed of pita and taro chips. If you’re gluten-free, you’re going to want to use all taro chips. The ones I use are root chips, made of sweet potato and the like. They’re colorful, awesome, and totally wheat-free. #gf4lyfe! (I’m not even gluten-free, stop me).
Then I got really excited and combined chickpeas, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion. And a dash of vinegar and tons of lemon. It’s like greek salad dressing and greek salad but with chickpeas and no lettuce. (Fun fact: I love chickpeas and hate lettuce)
And we cannot forget the olives! I love love love olives. So not only do we have kalamatas, but some green thrown in there as well. Plus, dill. Because of course.
Ooooh and we can’t forget about that dressing! Pine nuts and tahini… that’s literally it, no high-cal, high-fat oils in sight! So creamy and soooo delicious. Add some parsley, and you’re good to go.
Better than good.
I mean, just look at these, am I right?
- 3 oz pita chips
- 3 oz taro chips (or 6 oz and no pita chips if GF)
- ½ cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup cucumber, sliced or diced
- 1 tbsp diced red onion
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 5-7 kalamata olives
- 5-7 green olives
- 2 tsp dill
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 heaping tbsp tahini
- a pinch of parsley
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spread pita and/or taro chips in a dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, vinegar, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon. Toss and set aside.
- Combine olives, more lemon, dill, and salt. Toss until evenly coated and then slice the olives.
- In a food processor, process pine nuts until you have a fine meal. Add tahini and blend until homogenous.
- To assemble, layer chickpea mixture over chips, top with olives, and pour dressing over top.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.