I love me some chocolate chip cookies.
You should check out that post and see how much my photography has improved. I cringe.
But to be fair, the recipe is solid. It’s the base recipe for all my oatmeal cookies, and despite the iffy photos, it’s a keeper.
So why am I making more chocolate chip cookies? Well one, I realized I don’t have many non-oatmeal cookie recipes on this blog. In vegan baking, oats suck up moisture and allow for crisp edges and soft centers- sometimes vegan flour-only cookies can be overly oily or dense.
So, I set out to make some crispy and delicious vegan chocolate chip cookies. And I totally succeeded.
These cookies are so easy to make and you don’t need to chill them at all! The less time you have to wait for cookies, the better, am I right?
Yeah, yeah, I know the holidays are all about fancy peppermint and shortbread and toffee, but you can NEVER resist a chocolate chip cookie. Classics are classics (kind of the theme this week, what with the brownie recipe earlier) and don’t go out of style.
And just as I said back in June 2014, “If you’re some sort of non-human, chocolate chip cookie, comfort food hating creature, this is your cue to leave.”
- 1 cup vegan butter (= 2 sticks)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp egg replacer + 2 tbsp water (= 1 egg)
- 2½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¾ cups mini vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together on high speed until creamy (about 1 minute)
- Add vanilla and egg replacement and beat until mixed.
- Add flour, baking soda and powder, and salt and mix on low until a crumb dough forms.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of dough and shape into sphere placed on prepared sheet about 1 inch apart. Flatten with a glass.
- Bake in preheated oven for 9 minutes and cool on wire rack before serving.
*adapted from these cookies!
***The giveaway from last post has ENDED- congrats to Jacky for winning a copy of “Eat Like You Give A Damn”!***