The weirdest thing ever happened to me on Sunday night!
My last three posts had no comments, my most recent Weekly Obsessions was gone entirely, and there was no text on my second to last post.
I was totally upset and confused, but nevertheless, queued up today’s post with a little call for help note at the bottom.
When I woke up, I was even more surprised to find that everything had been restored to normal… except this post had no text and had been posted but immediately returned to draft status.
If you’ve encountered this problem with WordPress, let me know! I did update a couple plugins, but I don’t think that was the issue, as all the mess started almost a day after I updated.
So now that I’ve wasted the entire post complaining about all the other posts, let me tell you about these cookies.
They’re healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast or a snack, but delicious enough for a satisfying dessert. Made from rolled oats, they are entirely vegan and gluten-free, and they come together in 25 minutes or less!
The brown sugar and maple syrup serve as a rich, sweet base for the crunchy walnuts and the tart dried cranberries.
I loved these with a glass of almond milk, but they’re delicious on their own, or would be great topped with a nut butter or a white chocolate drizzle, for non-vegans!
- 4½ cups gluten free rolled oats, divided
- 1 cup vegan butter (= 2 sticks)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave
- 2 tbsp egg replacer + 4 tbsp water (= 2 eggs)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅔ cup walnut pieces
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, process 1½ cups of the oats into a fine meal. Set aside.
- In a deep mixing bowl, beat together vegan butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup with an electric beater until creamy. Add egg replacer + water and vanilla and beat again until mixed.
- Add cornstarch, ground oats, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder and mix with the electric beater on low until just combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining 3 cups rolled oats, walnut pieces, and dried cranberries.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving!