Guys, I’m FINALly on the other side of finals!!!!
As you can probably tell by my awful puns, finals have left me a little burned out. And by a little, I mean a lot.
Luckily, my epic trip to Trader Joe’s the morning after I got home kinda rejuvenated me. I got to pick up lovely things like fresh carrots and radishes that you just don’t really find in abundance at college.
I’ve only been home for two days so far, but they’ve been action-packed! The day after I got home, family came to visit, and yesterday I went to three dance shows and had a belated Mother’s Day celebration for my mom- I’ve been sleeping like a baby because I’m so exhausted!
Luckily, I’ve had lots of yummy and fresh food to snack on, and I’ve already embarked on some ambitious baking ventures!
This barley spinach salad is vegan and SO healthy. Freshly sliced carrots and radishes are quickly pickled in vinegar and lemon juice and are smothered in a delicious tahini dressing. I served this salad with some herb roasted tofu for added protein, but it would be delicious on its own as a main or as a side! Enjoy xx
- 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup dry barley
- 1⅔ water
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp flaxseed meal
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 3 tsp sea salt, divided
- Prepare your carrot and radish and combine them in a small bowl with vinegar, lemon, and 1 tsp salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Set water to boil with 1 tsp salt. Add barley and bring down to a simmer. Cover and cook until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Take barley off heat and set aside.
- Combine tahini, nutritional yeast, flaxseed meal, water, and last tsp of salt. Stir well until combined.
- Drain carrots and radishes of brine.
- To serve, combine spinach, pickled radishes and carrots, barley, and top with dressing.