These are probably the easiest dessert to make, ever.
You likely have everything you need in your kitchen for this recipe right now. And everyone loves them.
Seriously, what’s stopping you?!
These jam bars are a (vegan!) buttery shortbread topped with fruity jam (I went with raspberry preserves) and more shortbread crumbled on top.
The richness of the shortbread contrasts with the tart jam beautifully and the colors are festive and gorgeous.
Not to mention, this is the simplest holiday dessert of all time. (And yes, I am in full-on holiday dessert mode, you heard it here first!).
If you’re used to making dozens of cookies, or a pie, or something super intense like homemade toffee, you’re probably knee-deep in cookie cutters and candy thermometers come mid-December. But while all of that goodness is going on in the kitchen, these bars can be baking away happily in the oven without any intervention.
It’s almost too good to be true.
(If you wanted to get really fancy, you could even make 1.5x this recipe and use the extra shortbread to form a lattice top on the bars, or something else creative)
Cheers to easy desserts and the holiday season!
- 1 cup vegan butter (=2 sticks)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 oz jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Combine the first three ingredients (I like to use my hands) until well-combined (slightly crumbly is okay)
- Reserve ¼ cup of the dough and press the rest into an ungreased 8x8 glass or non-stick pan
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Spread the jam over the shortbread crust
- Crumble remaining dough over the jam and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes until golden brown
- Cool on wire rack before serving